Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sorority Life

It's indescribable.

The saying goes, "It's not four years, it's for life." And it is so true.

I graduated in '08 and whenever I go to see my sisters or go to an event, my parents always say, "Isn't that over? You're still in that sorority?" They don't understand the "for life" concept too well. Then again, a lot of non-Greeks don't understand Greek life too well.

It's not about the parties, the drinking, or "buying your friends." As a matter of fact, something I will never forget is my recruitment in Fall 2006. One of my future sorority sisters stood in front of us Greek wannabes and said, "Whenever anyone tells me that I've paid for my friends, I always say that if it's true, then I didn't pay enough."

Sisterhood is priceless, especially mine. I am a proud sister of Alpha Sigma Tau, Gamma Chi chapter. We fight like family, and just as equally, we're there for one another as if we truly are blood. Non-Greeks criticize us so much, but they will never understand how precious sorority life actually is. How, no matter the time of day, when a sister needs help, a sister is there to provide it. What's special about my sorority is that we're all there for one another, whether we pledged in 1998 or 2008. The majority of us keep in contact with each other, even sisters who didn't attend college at the same time.

Of course, there are sororities and fraternities out there that give Greek life the bad reputation it has, otherwise the rumors and criticisms wouldn't exist. However, there are so many more that live by their ideals, that defend their creeds, and live daily the true meaning of Greek life.

I just felt the need to explain how amazing it is to be a sister of Alpha Sigma Tau because there are too many people out there who associate sororities as being slutty, drunken, bitchy messes that seclude themselves from the rest of the world.

Even though those types may be out there ... we are not that sorority, and I guarantee, you'll find more that aren't that way than those that are. And we don't criticize or make fun of you for not being in a sorority or fraternity, so why talk bad about us for being in one?

No comments:

Post a Comment