Thursday, February 26, 2009

Even if You've Dropped the Ball, You Haven't Lost the Game!

The best way to win is to know there is no chance of losing, even if you drop the ball.

Basically, we should always keep in mind that failure is certain, but losing is not. For instance, a basketball team could be down a few points by halftime, then come back and win the game. The players probably failed at making baskets and blocking their opponents, but they did not lose.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but failure occurs more often than losing. A defeatist attitude means that once you fail, you believe you have lost. With a more positive attitude, you can truly live out that saying, "It doesn't matter how many times you fall, but how you bounce back," or whatever the quote is. You get the idea.

Personally, there have been times when I've failed quizzes but managed to get an "A" or "B" in the class. If one "F" puts you down, then you should really consider the kind of outlook and perception you have toward life beyond the classroom.

I was introduced to this quote over the summer from Tom Hopkins: "I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed, and the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I can fail and keep trying."

What I get out of this quote is that people are not waiting for you to fail, and nobody counts your failures. Instead, they take note of all of your successes, sometimes not even knowing that you've failed countless times in the process.

Keep your head up, and just stay hungry :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration, Jamie and keep up the good work!!!!

    ReplyDelete