Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Let All That You Do Be in Love."

-1 Corinthians 16:14

I haven't actually read the Bible (at least not the whole thing). I found this verse written on a piece of glass at my grandmother's house. I don't take anything for granted, and I believe everything happens for a reason. I had visited my grandmother and my family in the Philippines last month because she (RIP) was sick in the hospital. Not only did her funeral impact me, but the 26 days there seriously changed my life. And now, this simple sentence is my new motivation in life.

I took a picture of that piece of glass, and it is the background on my phone. When I open my cell, it reminds me to do no harm, to do nothing bad that would compromise my character, and to remember to love everyone - enemies and all. When I get a phone call or text from someone I am trying to avoid for whatever reason, this quote helps me ignore anyone who is a negative influence on me.

I believe my grandmother is my guardian angel. I hadn't seen her since I was 11 or 12, and I am 23 now. Even before her death, since visiting the Philippines in 1997, whenever I did anything wrong, or thought about it, I always wondered how she'd feel and what she'd think of me, as if she were watching me. In some way, I've always felt connected to her, as if she was always there to keep me in check to ensure I don't disappoint her. I always had to keep reminding myself that she was still alive, that there was no way she would ever know what I was planning on doing, or what I had already done.

Now that she is in heaven, she's definitely watching. I really feel like she's guarding me from the situations I used to put myself in, or think about doing. I'm talking big and small situations - big ones I'd rather not mention, and small ones like whether or not to drink or get angry at someone or lie (that's not really small, depending on the circumstance). So now, whenever a situation is presented to me that I feel I should not involve myself in, I think about her, and I think about the verse: "Let all that you do be in love." And questions go through my mind: is it worth it? Is this something that is in love or that is kind? Will this benefit me or anyone else in any way? These questions stop me from a lot now, and I am so grateful for the visit to the Philippines. Not just because I was able to be with Lola (that's what we call grandmother in the Philippines) during her last two days, not just because I was able to see my family whom I haven't seen or spoken to in 11 years, but also because I found this verse, and I'm slowly beginning to realize what I need to do to live a positive life, and I'm moving toward a sense of inner peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment