Sunday, July 12, 2009

2005?! Throwback?! WHAT?!?!

Radio has officially aged me too quickly.

On my way in to work this morning, I got all excited cause the radio was hyping up a throwback, and I like throwbacks. I'm thinkin, "Hmm, who could this possibly be?!"

Next thing I hear is, "Gotta stay fly-y-y-y-y-y-y." Damn. That came out in 2005 or 06. When I was in COLLEGE. Not too long ago. At all.

When I think throwback, I expect something that came out no later than 1996; anything after that is pushing it. Really pushing it. Just because it may not have been played in some time does not mean it should be called a throwback. When the DJ hypes up a throwback jam, one that will really bring us back, I don't expect anything after 2000. Come on now. Who really does?! Maybe I'm just in denial that time is going by quickly and songs that have been around for six or seven years are pretty old school already. I refuse to believe it.

When it comes to throwbacks that have come out within my lifetime of almost 24 years, I expect the DJ to be hyping up "One in a Million" Aaliyah, Brandy sittin up in her room, R. Kelly wanting to go half, Nastradamus, The Fugees, TLC creepin around, Wu-Tang, Dru Hill killing the "Rush Hour" soundtrack, Mary J. pre-boost in personal strength.

"Throwback" should not be laid on anything that hasn't been around for at least 10 years. The next time I hear "throwback" and something like "Virgo" or "Salt Shaker" plays, I'm not gonna feel bad for myself. I'm gonna feel bad for anyone older than me. Cause if Mr. DJ is calling songs from 2002-2006 throwbacks, I can't imagine how anyone born before 1985 must feel. I am so sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment