Friday, April 3, 2009

mindXposed Quote of the Week

"Develop a negative into a positive picture." - Lauryn Hill ("Everything is Everything")

I have faithfully been listening to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill since its release in 1998. Eleven years later, I still have it bumping in my car. I absolutely love the beat of "Every Ghetto, Every City," and since I'm a Jersey girl, I am very familiar with the streets and cities she mentions on that track. "Nothing Even Matters" with D'Angelo melts through the speakers. Her emotions pull you in on "To Zion." This album is by far probably my most favorite.

Anyway, back to the quote. Ever since I first listened to this track, I have lived by the words, "Develop a negative into a positive picture." That is why I have been so resilient, despite everything that life has thrown at me. I have been through hell and back numerous times, and yet, I have not been depressed ever. I immediately take a negative situation, find the lesson in it, grow up and move on. It is amazing how quickly I just move on. Metaphorically speaking, I'd be beaten up and boggled down by life, but no one around me would ever know, because the next day, you'd find me on the tennis courts trying to win one for them team or in a Student Government meeting trying to lead my peers, without one teammate or SGA officer knowing how upside down and shaken my life just was less than 24 hours before.

Other people who have gone through similar circumstances have not bounced back nearly as fast as I have from the shit (forgive my language) I have gone through. I am blessed and grateful to be such a positive person who lets nothing, and I do mean nothing, stop me from enjoying life and going after my dreams. With what I've gone through, some people might try to hide from the spotlight and live anonymously in fear. Some people might lose trust in everyone they meet, and even people they have known for quite some time.

By developing every negative into a positive, I do not live in fear and I learn so much about myself and about life. Because of what I have been through, I am more cautious about certain things and letting people into my life, but I do not, nor will I ever, limit myself just because of my past. Also, I have learned how to forgive, how to be happy despite the facts, and I am not stressed out at all from anything that happens.

Continuously, I say that everyone deals with problems differently. However, I am really glad that I know how to move on and not dwell on the past. Doing so just keeps your life on a standstill, and that is no way to be living! It honestly aggravates me to hear people complain about their lives. Not everyone's life is golden, and not everyone knows how to deal with that. However, every situation can be altered if you try. It takes a lot of effort, a lot of discipline, and a lot of strength to make a change and to learn from the past. Easier said than done, but it must be done. And once it is done, baby, you are on track to the happiness you deserve! It'll take time, but only the greatest things are accomplished with patience and diligence.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie, been a long time since I've been here. Love the post. Love Lauren Hill's album. She is one of the few female singers that I would even spend time listening to. Her album had nothing but content, and when she spoke about subjects like love, it gave it a well-rounded album. She was one of the people that I could get positive vibes from because she went after social issues too. Too bad this entertainment machine tried to exploit her good looks, which may be one of the reasons why she almost dropped out of site. Most men don't understand what women have to go through being in a society that tries to empower women by their sexuality more than their intelligence. But she kept it in focus, and if she never makes another album, I can always treasure the Miseducation of Lauren Hill.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete