Friday, April 17, 2009

mindXposed Quote of the Week

"Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I found this quote in Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. I have yet to finish the book because I keep losing it, but I am halfway through, and now that it's in my possession again, I'll do my best to keep it in sight. But this isn't about the progress I am making in reading the book; this is about the quote. So let me continue...

Emerson made a great point, which I kind of touched upon in my post "Your Past..." in which I said that everyone, no matter how long or briefly you have known a person, has some kind of influence over you. Every person you come across is someone you can learn from, no matter where they came from or how far advanced they are in their formal education. In fact, the more different you are, the more you can learn.

Everyone's life experiences are different; therefore, you can take something valuable from someone else's story. Life is too short to experience everything ourselves, and human relationships and interaction are important in shaping who we are.

I absolutely love meeting new people and listening to stories. I am constantly learning. We have to humble ourselves in order to better ourselves. We cannot shrug off advice from a young child or from someone who quit high school. We cannot ignore the words of someone of a different religion or sexual orientation just because their beliefs or actions are not like ours.

We are no better than each other, and if we lived by what Emerson stated, imagine how much more intelligent and logical we would be as a whole. Imagine how much more understanding we would be of each other, and how much more grateful we would be for sharing this world with each other.

1 comment:

  1. Positive mood today? I just ask b/c you sound very inspiring. You have some lovely thoughts...oh and by the way, my sister (who i blog with) does a little web design. If you wanted she'd love to design your blog.Other than that, have a great day and stay optimistic.

    ReplyDelete